APS-C IMAGE QUALITY VS fULL fRAME AT TESTING

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,537
Re: A bit more help.

qianp2k wrote:

joger wrote:

sorry - the crop sensor lenses are specifically better in lP / mm - which is no surprise - with smaller lenses and smaller length and maybe easier manufacturing (which bay be part of the total offering)

In absolute values FF trumps easily the crop format - it is funny that people try to argue differently - the bigger format ALWAYS trumps the smaller format - I was using a Plaubel 5x7 large format camera and it easily rivals all digital cameras I've ever seen.

The lenses only resolve some 30 lP/mm at mtf50 but when you have 170x120 mm sensor size and the sensor is a b&w ISO 100 firm you get enormous detail and really huge file sizes of the scanned field that have details where my DSLR will never get to.

In absolute term the bigger sensor plus the appropriate lenses wins in terms of images quality.

There are other aspects to consider like size (My Plaubel was big and had 40 pounds) and of course convenience aspects.

I have yet to see a good 7D shot with whatsoever lens that is anywhere near to the 5D II shots I do but if that happens a new sensor for FF might be on it's way too.

I will only by a crop sensor for very specific task but I will not buy it because of it#s superior images quality

You're free to belief that of course - I tend more to a bigger sensor size e.g. by shifting and stitching and recombining images to get more (virtual) sensor size.

I will never buy a smaller sensor because i think I get more in absolute terms - that's against basic physics

Exactly. Bigger sensor, better IQ, that's no much argument there. Why some top salons still use MF/LF cameras to take model photos?

I still have not seen 7D/60D with 17-55 or 15-85 can match IQ from 5D/5D2 with 24-105L no mention 24-70L II when view both at 2000-pixel wide or more. I am still waiting see anyone can post a 100% 7D face snapshot (without any excessive processing to smear details) as I did from 5Dc. I only heard lots of talking but not tangible photos really can convince us in pure IQ.

Just try to see it this way - if those arguments would really convince amateurs to buy crop instead of FF or bigger it would be easier to compete in image quality

No problem for me if others buy equipment that is poorer in the end results - and by the way - some would not succeed in doing acceptable images even with the best available quality.

It is only a bit strange to follow the arguments - fortunately it is easy to rent equipment and to try out yourself. I have many 40d and 50d and 7d files from friends on my raid and I printed them (for cash) large - rather seldom I see outstanding results - as said before - fortunately everyone can test and everyone should test - no problem if you're happy before the limits are reached though

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Leica APO-Telyt-M 135mm f/3.4 ASPH Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MAC
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow