This thread is locked.
Rriley
Rriley Forum Pro • Posts: 21,846
Re: I want to see an E-7 that's a nice upgrade from the EM-5

Messier Object wrote:

Rriley wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

For what it's worth, I think an E-7 having just an E-5 body with OMD-5's sensor, would be a really nice upgrade from an E-3/E-30/E-5. Even better- an E-1 with the OMD-5 sensor

By the time Olympus releases the new body (whatever it is) the EM-5 sensor will be almost 2-years old. I for one don't want to see another warmed over sensor going into the top level camera.

OMD isnt a year old yet

IMO the E-5 was 2 years behind where it should have been if Olympus had been able and willing to source the latest sensor technology for it. Let's not go through that again please Olympus

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Riley, I'm not talking about the OMD, but about the sensor in it. It's got to be a 2011 design and Olympus must have had it in their hands for much of the OMD development.

well consider this, what if the 24Mp sensor that seems to be moving into APSC 1.5x redesigns ATM is actually the OMD sensor pixel engineering on a larger chip.

Although the numbers dont work out all that perfectly, the OMD chip is still denser than this new slightly smaller 24.1 Mp APSC 1.5x (366 sqmm), an OMD on the same chip would be 14.78Mp instead of the 16.1 Mp

I think moving along a little, this will work out in this way. The 24Mp without AA filter will come with pluses and minuses. Detail in bright areas will be very acute, but the algorithm that negates aliasing will be imperfect and create blurry looking blotches and of parts of scenes not imagined by programming. The detail is worth having, not sure about the rest

look at the lower areas of this reduced size frame
Geese D7100

So to release a brand new camera body in (say) October 2013 with a sensor developed in 2011 . .

I do realise that a sensor can't come straight out of the Sony lab into the Olympus camera, but 2 years? if I buy a new laptop I don't want it to have a chip set from 2 years ago

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow