APS-C IMAGE QUALITY VS fULL fRAME AT TESTING

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,799
Re: APS-C IMAGE QUALITY VS fULL fRAME AT TESTING

qianp2k wrote:

MAC wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

MAC wrote:

gianp2k dising my two 18 mpxl cameras (60d, T4i) in this thread - he owns one btw

you dising my 5dc.

haha, dare to dising my precious

oh well, I'm getting closer to the sigma 35 f1.4 art for these crop and FF cameras then except for a bit of off camera lighting accessories, II'll be done for this year with the purchases.

btw - you know this - our 40d's we sold couldn't do the following as well.

From about a mile away

60d, 100L, F8, iso125

and then a 200% crop from the mile away

the nice thing about great 100L is I do very little sharpening the glass is so sharp out of the camera

works for me

BTW, why you show at 200% cropped size? To be honest, it doesn't look very good.

this is a resolution thread - last I checked

what looks good to you might be meh to me - N=1 - unless you post side by side

However if you move closer with the same 100L on your 5Dc to frame into the same FOV, it will be noticeable sharper especially at 100% cropped size. I don't use 5Dc these days so let me show you 5D2 samples.

no - a great big river was in front of me...

understand. If you cannot move closer, then 60D will outresolve 5Dc in resolution if you shoot from the same distance and you have to crop 5Dc photo to match to 60D's FOV. Or don't crop but with a wide angle 5Dc photo, a different photo.

yep

Below are two 3000-pixel wide test shots from Sigma 150mm/2.8 OS macro that replaces my old 100mm/2.8 macro (non-L which I just sold). FF still has IQ advantage, my friend.

your old 100 f2.8 was ok on tripod for macro but

too short for me, therefore I bought Sigma 150/2.8 OS. It also has 180mm/2.8 OS that is too heavy/bulky and too expensive. Nevertheless Sigma does Canon and Nikon didn't do and they did very well in these two latest macro lenses.

yep - both great lenses

no tripods allowed in museum - 4 stop 100L rocks

Sigma also claims 4-stop OS but I doubt it, so probably 3-stop. IN most macro shots, I usually use ring-adapter flash (that wrap around 580EX II) so 'IS' is not that important to me.

they've come a long way.

As said in an old wisdom - Full frame or no frame

When in Africa, you'll be so loaded down, I hope you don't get chased down. Lots of fast animals over there. Be careful and give the wife a break from the weight

We don't walk in Africa safari but just ride in truck two times in a day (game plays, one in early morning and another in late afternoon). 500L IS, 100-400L IS and 70-200L/2.8 IS II will on 5D3, 1D3 and 60D in any combination, no lens swap in peak exciting moments. However in first half of trip, we will tour Cape Town in South Africa, to Victoria Falls... that I will only carry necessary gear. But that is in early Sept, long to go. Before that, Cancun Mexico next month, bunch of other activities in Spring and summer after this boring long and biting cold winter.

but check these Africa safari youtube, cannot wait. His group did great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3Ee6DEV4II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3AnzzKYeME

sounds fun.  be safe.  my insurance agents would be raising my rates

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MAC
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow