Dave Luttmann wrote:

Sovern wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

Sovern wrote:

MAC wrote:

Sovern wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crop_factor

Very simple that FF has 1.6x times less enlargement. The reason 100mm lens on Canon APS-C has the same FOV of 160mm lens on FF is thru digital magnification (or zooming) that has much bigger IQ impact than optical magnification. This is similar as optical zooming vs digital zooming in a camcorder.

-- hide signature --

I think it's also dependent on how many MP's the sensor has. 18MP on a crop sensor is obviously MP crammed for just about any lens. On my 40D I get very high quality image noise out of my EF 85 1.8 and 40mm 2.8 since it;s not MP crammed.

I'm sure that a 26+MP FF sensor would out resolve most lenses as well.

There comes a point where a sensor is MP crammed though and I think that anything over 12MP on crop is pushing it.

not to dis your 40d, I owned one for 5 years a loved the results up to 13x19 and up to iso1600.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50855152

but hardly anyone around here these days would agree with you on the cramming of mpxl into 60d- see visuals and dxo data in above link that match conclusions. ISO 3200 is the reason to get the 60d, along with a bit extra cropping power and more features.

Well Donald and the Mod both agree with it from what I can tell that now crop body's are cramming more and more MP's into their sensors which are out resolving the lenses being used on such bodys.

If someone REALLY needs more MP's they can just upscale their image as well or do panoramics and go well beyond 50MP easily but I never saw/see the point beyond 10-12MP's and most pros agree as well so they stick with the older 5Dc and older FF Nikon Body which is also 12MP.

By this, are you claiming my D700 resolves the same as my 7D Classic. Because I can tell you the 7D Classic easily beats it. And samples I see from the D7100 do better than my 7D Classic. I'm sure the 7D2 will be even better.

I used a 60D at a pro event and was not impressed with it despite it's $700 price tag compared to my now dead Rebel XSI. The only thing that I liked better was the build quality (which 40D/50D have a better build quality than 60D) and the ergonomics such as Top LCD display and double wheels.

I'm not claiming anything just that it's obvious that Canon/Nikon and other major manufactures are using more MP's as more of a marketing scheme as there are even P&S cameras that do over 20MP easily.

Also, never heard of the "7D Classic". The D700 is a better camera than the 7D though because it has better high iso performance, better dynamic range, and distinguishes more colors which are all valuable if you're a wedding/event shooter.

It's like the 5D Classic, and the 1Ds Classic, and the 1D Classic.

I'm a wedding shooter...and in print, the color between the two is the same. The DR is better on the D700. Rez is better on the 7D Classic. I agree though, we are reaching a point of diminishing returns. That is why I still love my D2x....at base iso, the noise is low, and the rez and sharpness equal to the 5D. There is nothing special about 5D that anyone can see in side by side prints, or in a tiny 2000 pixel wide screen....despite what some amateurs think.

gianp2k dising my two 18 mpxl cameras (60d, T4i) in this thread - he owns one btw

you dising my 5dc.

oh well, I'm getting closer to the sigma 35 f1.4 art for these crop and FF cameras then except for a bit of off camera lighting accessories, II'll be done for this year with the purchases.

btw - you know this - our 40d's we sold couldn't do the following as well.

From about a mile away

60d, 100L, F8, iso125

and then a 200% crop from the mile away

the nice thing about great 100L is I do very little sharpening the glass is so sharp out of the camera

works for meĀ 

about a mile away

200 % crop

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MAC
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow