APS-C IMAGE QUALITY VS fULL fRAME AT TESTING

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,803
Re: APS-C IMAGE QUALITY VS fULL fRAME AT TESTING

schmegg wrote:

MAC wrote:

schmegg wrote:

I still say tee it up with equivalence concepts that we both know -- at the same distance with the 70-200 f2.8 II

7d at 100 mm f2.8. 5dc at 160 mm at f4.5. put a resolution chart out there.

and let's see the line pairs on the resolution chart

It would be interesting. But it would also be difficult to ascertain how much of the difference was due to the optical differences of the lenses - and because of this, it's not really a good test in terms of determining "system resolution".

I'm talking same lens.

Same great lens. I can't afford that lens

But I have the 70-200 F2.8L which is a great lens also.

So - I think I'll do the test this weekend when I get the chance since it would be interesting

Sure - go for it. But it wont be suitable as a definitive guide as to which system resolves more, as the detail presented to the sensor will be different.

I think I know what the results will be for normal lengths like the 70-200 F2.8L and the 24-105L.

I think the 5dc FF will win with the same FOV -- the same framing -- which is only way to fairly come close to testing the system.

But if you don't accept my tests, I'll not bother to do them. 

Keeping Everything with the Two Systems The Same as much as possible...

Systems must be compared as much as possible with SAME, SAME, SAME - or you'll go insane

Yes.

You have the 100/2.8 L macro. Set it to MFD and take a shot with your 5D and 60D. Almost everything will be the same then. Same lens, same aperture, same subject distance - meaning exactly the same amount of information is reaching the sensor and is available to record.

That would be valid as you have the same information hitting the sensor and you can see exactly which system realises the most detail from the identical data.

Different FOV's -- different photographs.  What kind of system test is that?

5dc and 60d will be kept SAME distance and with the same fov and dof and the detailed subject presented to the different sensors with the Same Lens -- thinking of a detailed map with bills on each corner and in the center

70-200L @ F4.5 with 5dc and set at 160 mm SAME Shutter Speed on tripod, mirror lockup, RAW, zero on the LR sharpening slider, with iso set (1.6x1.6) higher on my 5dc than my 60d.

If you present different amounts of detail to the sensor plane to record, as you most definitely will if you use different focal lengths, then you can make no claim about which system is able to resolve more of the detail that it received - it's not possible.

It is the only way to be fair to compare different systems -- to keep the FOV the same -- otherwise we have different photographs

70-200L @ F2.8 with 60d and set at 100 mm (for same FOV) SAME Shutter Speed on tripod, mirror lockup, RAW, zero on the LR sharpening slider, with iso preferably at base

Magnify on PC and compare results in the center and the 4 corners

This will resolve the discussion - at least for this lens! Agree?

No - I don't.

Consider shooting a bird in a tree at a distance that does not allow you to even fill half of the crop frame at 200mm.

yes, the crop of the same generation will win.  They haven't built the 45 mpxl FF and may never do so if it canalization their stuff -- like big expensive long lenses.

But we knew the answer to the reach limiting condition before this thread.

I'm not talking birds.

I'm talking normal focal lengths -- eg - landscapes and fashion where resolution matters

So in the end, what you are saying for normal lenses -- to be fair with the same FOV -- no way to fairly compare?

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MAC
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow