APS-C IMAGE QUALITY VS fULL fRAME AT TESTING

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,637
Re: APS-C IMAGE QUALITY VS fULL fRAME AT TESTING

Great Bustard wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Fine. I choose the 100/2.8 L macro and I choose to shot at maximum macro magnification - because I wish to resolve as much subject detail as possible!

What will I find?

In this situation, the system with the greater PD (pixel density) will come out on top, assuming, of course, that the photo from the larger sensor system is cropped to the same framing as the photo from the smaller sensor system.

You are the equivalence white paper expert.

Let's get to the heart for the topic.

To compare resolution between "different systems" (camera + lens + etc between formats), not just sensors in and of themselves, does one need to keep the fov the same between the systems?

I think yes.

Otherwise, one is generating "different framing" and therefore, completely different photographs.

ie, resolution in a vacuum is meaningless. To even have a chance of making it a "practical" meaningful comparison between formats, one needs to keep the framing the same -- otherwise, the systems are taking different photographs

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MAC
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MAC
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MOD schmegg
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow