Buffer vs write speed a 30 second test

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Discussions thread
JimPearce
JimPearce Veteran Member • Posts: 9,153
I agree on most points here John...

However, I see the D7100 as an excellent supplement to the D300/s right now. As far as action goes, I may or may not find the D7100 in 1.3x crop mode better for birds in flight than the D300s and 300 f2.8 VR plus TC-14E I use now. No doubt the cropped D7100 will perform about the same as the D300s - I've been saying just that. But you shouldn't forget that like the micro-4/3rds camera it closely approximates it can be shot at one stop lower ISO and one stop wider aperture with the same shutter speed and DOF. Where the D7100 falls short for me is flexibility. It will be fine for fill flash, and may be fine for birds in flight in 1.3x crop mode. But the shallow buffer would likely catch me out when the unexpected happens: when the roosting bird that I'm photographing suddenly takes flight, for instance. So, for me, a valuable supplement but not a replacement. Much as a D800E would be, but much cheaper and more satisfactory for my purposes.

-- hide signature --

Jim

JimPearce's gear list:JimPearce's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D500
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow