For those who have FF DSLR AND m43 and love street photography

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,348
Re: For those who have FF DSLR AND m43 and love street photography

Wellington100 wrote:

flashdiet wrote:

I own a micro four thirds system that I've been using since Christmas. I have the omd, panasonic 14mm, Olympus 17mm, and olympus 75mm. I bought all of this new for $2200 through strategic rebate/deal hunting, all from authorized dealers. Took a lot of time but I saved $400 and I'm pretty proud of the deals I got. But I miss my canon 5d.

I am thinking of going with used Nikon D600 and keeping it simple with a 35mm and 85mm prime lens which would come out to about $2100. If I sell all my m43 gear, I think I could get around $2100 back, which is a loss of $100, but its okay since I used a $100 gift card in the original purchase anyways (so I guess I would break even when I sell my gear?).

Do you think this is a good idea? I need someone to convince me out of this. I keep buying new m43 gear, and I can't help but think that with the same amount of money, I could be buying full frame gear. Don't get me wrong, I love my m43 gear. Its just that, when I look at the files from my old Canon 5d classic, I really miss the files.

The reason I moved to m43 was because I had a fear of getting up real close to people when street shooting. The OMD REALLY helped me overcome that fear, because now I use the Panasonic 14mm to take pics of people literally 2 to 3 feet from them.

So my question is two-fold:

1. Is it a smart move to move from a kit where the majority of my money is in the lenses (I have $1400 in m43 lenses) to full frame, where the majority of my money is in the body(d600 is about $1600 to 1700 used)? I think I already know the answer to this.

2. Even if I am comfortable taking pics REAL close to people with the OMD, do you think I will get different/bad reactions from people when I use a DSLR? When I use the OMD, I get a positive reaction. People smile back, and some even pose for me.

Why dont you consider switching to a Fuji XPro instead, you will get the best of both worlds that way, an unobtrusive camera and great DSLR like IQ

-- hide signature --

S100fs, S6500, S5, F300, D40, EX1, EPM1

As long as you don't want to process RAW in Aperture. It won't.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow