filter question

Started Feb 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Don Daugherty Contributing Member • Posts: 641
Re: filter question

Yes, a neutral density filter is what you would use to create the effects you've described.  Also a good tripod would be essential as well.  Not necessary, but really helpful would be a remote shutter release.


Penny123 wrote:

I am hoping to try and get some different photos this year. I take lots when I am out and about and I am happy enough with them as they capture what I see. What I would like to do is try and experiment a bit this year and from my little understand a different filter may help with this.

What I am hoping to achieve:

I enjoy using slow shutter speeds on waterfalls and little streams but finding it quite difficult to achieve this in bright condtions, it is fine when I am sheltered by trees and i can use a slow shutter speed without the image becoming over exposed.

I see lots of beautiful caostal shots where the ocean has a lovely creamy effect, particularly in the evening/sunset. I am hoping to visit some of the Scottish coastline this year and would love to play around and try and get something like that.

Am I right in thinking that a ND filter might be of use to help with such shots? I have been reading about nd and nd grad filters and it gets a little confusing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow