Backup tools and insurance for Android phones

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP MikeFromMesa Senior Member • Posts: 2,849
Re: Corrections about Kies and backup/restore options.

pdxrunner wrote:

Like you, I don't have the USB settings as Jeff described. On my Galaxy S3 (USA AT&T model), that I've upgraded to the Android "Jelly Bean" (4.1.?) release, I do have the setting available after I connect the phone to the computer via USB. Only you have to pull-down the "notifications" from the home screen, and USB is right on top of the list. You select either "Media Device (MTP)" or "Camera (PTP)". I believe that the PTP setting is what you want for the storage to show up on your computer.

It took me a while to find where the "notifications" pulldown was but, once I found it, I also found the MTP and PTP selections. I tried both but it made no difference. Both my backup software and WinZip were unable to make copies of the disc information. And, even more puzzling, while the card has almost 5GB of space being used (mostly by my downloaded Audible books), the only information visible to Windows Explorer are the photos I have taken with the camera. So I assume Samsung has done something very clever to hide most of this data from "prying eyes", especially those of the owner.

When I attach to a Windows virtual machine that I run on my Mac the phone is listed under the SAMSUNG device name (but no drive letter). Under the SAMSUNG device are the separate internal storage and the micro SD card. I can drag-n-drop files to there.

I can copy the photos to my hard disc, but cannot even see the other files that I know are stored on the card. It is not a total loss. If I lost the disc I could always just download the books again from Audible.com since, once bought, they are always available to be downloaded again. It is not really a big problem, but is one of those "strange things" that continue to bother me long after there is no real reason to worry about them. I suppose it is one of the habits of being an engineer. If something does not work as expected you tend to wonder why ...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow