Shakeout in the mirrorless market

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,182
Peter, interesting analysis

I think you are right.

But I would add one thing. I think the reason M4/3 has been successful goes a bit beyond it coming from two makers. Although, that in itself is a very good thing.

I think an important to note that BOTH Panasonic and Olympus have no other ILC products to sell. (For sane and rational people, the E-5 and 4/3 legacy lenses cannot be considered current products).

Neither company has DSLRs distracting them. They have effectively put all their eggs in one basket.

Also... the M4/3 lens catalog is a HUGE advantage. It will take others ten years to catch up, assuming M4/3 stands still for ten years. And it was a brilliant move for them to focus on fast prime lenses, since these both lend themselves to a smaller camera concept, and the lens speed is really needed for a smaller sensor.

I see the advantage of APS-C very slight with the newest 4/3 sensors. And I see the advantage over smaller formats being huge. M4/3 has hit the sweet spot, combining performance, value, ergonomics and lens selection.

(Special Note for tedolph... the GH-3 is an important and necessary camera for M4/3. If Panasonic didn't build it, then Olympus would be forced to do it. The system needs a camera like this. Not everyone wants a Pen Mini or a GF5.)

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow