Recommend A Large Compact That Is Capable Of Higher Image Quality Than These Photos

Started Feb 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ryder78 Contributing Member • Posts: 650
Recommend A Large Compact That Is Capable Of Higher Image Quality Than These Photos

I am looking for a high quality large compact that is capable of higher IQ than my current camera.

I have looked at sample images from most of the good compacts such as Fuji X20/X10, Pentax MX1, Panasonic LX7, Olympus XZ-2 etc. and didn't notice any significant difference or improvement in IQ over the samples below.

I believe the Sony RX100 may offer slightly higher IQ than the images below, though I'm not too sure by how much. Any thoughts? Personally I don't dig the RX100 too much.

My criteria in IQ are as follows:-

1) Clarity, detail and sharpness - The overall picture must show good clarity and sharpness instead of a soft look.

2) Good low light performance up to ISO1600 - Noise in moderate low light such as in dim-lighted restaurants must be low. Personally I feel the minimum size of the sensor shall not be smaller than 2/3", preferably 1" or larger to ensure good light performance.

3) Colours - This would be more dependent on personal preference, though I would prefer a pleasant, rich and saturated looking colours. Not overly warm or overly cold colours, just leaning slightly to rich and saturated from neutral.

Image quality takes precedence over features. Zoom and viewfinder are not necessary but preferable.

Some of the mid-sized samples are as below.

3263 x 2448

3840 x 2160

3264 x 2448

3264 x 2448

3840 x 2160

I will be posting more samples in a minute.

Thanks for looking and all views and opinions from experienced photographers would be most appreciated.

Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Pentax MX-1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow