switching from Pentax to m43, need advice for a good starter set of lenses

Started Feb 24, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
ruumis New Member • Posts: 1
switching from Pentax to m43, need advice for a good starter set of lenses

I used to be a keen amateur photographer, took a lot of pictures with my Pentax K10D. I had a 50mm f/1.4, a Sigma EX 100-300mm F/4.0, a Sigma EX 18-50mm f/2.8 DC standard zoom I bought together with the K10D. I became a pentaxoid before the digital era and was really p!ssed about the APS-C format, which, as I felt, robbed me of wide angles... (I know I'm overdramatising.) Eventually I became tired of the size and weight of the K10D and almost stopped using it...

My goal is to have a lightweight, small-in-size camera that gives me uncompromised picture quality for landscaping, is discreet enough for a bit of street, is good for portraits but also ok for family events like birthdays, is suitable for planespotting.

A friend of mine is offering me his old Panasonic GF-1, which is an easy choice for me. And I have a set of lens in mind to get myself started, but not sure whether these are the right ones for me (listed in order of acquisition priority):

1) Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F/1.7 ASPH
2) Olympus M.Zuiko 12mm f/2 ED
3) Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 45mm f/1.8
4) Panasonic Lumix 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6 G Vario (not sure about this one)

I know the 12mm stands out as quite expensive, but wide angle is a priority for me and I am ok with spending half my budget on it. I know there are some supposedly good wide angle zooms by Pana and Oly, but I am suspicious about wide angle zooms in general and do not want to compromise sharpness. I am very tempted by the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 but not sure whether it could replace the 45mm as well as the 100-300 zoom and be both a versatile portrait lens as well as be useful for bird- and airplane-spotting.

This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K10D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow