56 mp fx ?

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Grevture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,188
Try it yourself, it is very easy to do.

RedFox88 wrote:

Grevture wrote:

Not capable of 56 MP.

Oh yes, they are. And with good margins too.

Have you actually tried? Its quite easy: just put any Nikon lens you can find on a Nikon J1 or V1

Making small lenses capable of resolving small pixels is one thing, but making a 35mm lens to do the same thing is different. Bigger glass and making things bigger is more difficult.

And testing existing Nikon lenses on a Nikon 1 camera will show you they work just fine and the resolution increase in the sensor is clearly visible even with not ver advanced Nikon DSLR lenses.

I did try this about a year ago, did a shot with AF-S 24-70/2,8 (pr grade, but a zoom), AF-S DX 35/1,8 (good value for money, but still a cheap lens) and a old A 105/2.5 (my lens is about 35 years old, the optical design is about 50 years old) and with all three lenses you could see a very clear and distinct increase in detail rendition compared to putting the same lens on a D7000 (which is very similar to the D800 in pixel pitch) and on a D3X (with its 24 MP FX sensor).

So yes, even cheap and very old lenses would work just fine also with a 74 megapixel FX sensor. And the increase in detail rendition was very clear, so yes even with such sensor resolutions we will see marked improvements from our current (and even very old) lenses.

The notion that our lenses cannot resolve higher resolution sensors is BS. Try it yourself, you might be surprised

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow