Micro 4/3 Lens Question: Two Different Goals and Applications

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
Considering other options...

For macro, don't feel limited to the two native macro lenses.

Plenty of good legacy glass out there... add an adapter and you'll have a macro for much less than either the Panny or Oly m43 macro.  Or perhaps pick up the 4/3 ZD 50 macro plus 4/3 to m43 adapter.  Super sharp lens, but needs the EX-25 to reach 1:1 (Did you need to reach 1:1?)  For macro work on a tripod, size isn't an issue, and AF isn't as important either.

Travel lens:

The 12-35 seems a bit limited in range to me.  (maybe not to you?) Considering the compact size of m43 lenses, I wouldn't hesitate to take more than one.

12-50 for general, all purpose, all weather lens.

9-18 for when I need wider (Skip if you never need to shoot wider than 12)

40-150 for a bit of reach (skip if you never shoot long)

One fast prime: 17/1.8, 20/1.7, 25/1.4 or 45/1.8, depending on which you'd use the most in low light situations.

I can fit 4 lenses in my jacket, and batteries/charger/cards in my bag... I wouldn't take a separate camera bag

If you're going to do much hiking, I'd consider taking a monopod that could double as a walking stick.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow