Backup tools and insurance for Android phones

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeff Peterman
MOD Jeff Peterman Forum Pro • Posts: 12,763
Re: Corrections about Kies and backup/restore options.

First, you can tell Kies the default location for music, videos, etc., so you could have set it to send all the data to the microSD card. Second, Kies has a BACKUP function that will backup everything on the phone, and let you restore it all later (although, admittedly I haven't tried restoring with it this way.).

But, I use other methods: you can set the phone to show up like an external drive. Once you do that, you'll see two "hard drives" appear on your computer - one is the internal memory and one is the microSD card. From there, you can manually copy over the entire contents of the phone and microSD card to your computer for backup, or you could backup just the folder that certain applications use to store data. Your choice.

I've wiped/restored my Galaxy SII phone and my Android tablet, without any problem, and I've helped my wife upgrade Android phones twice - each time "restoring" the Apps and data she wanted from the old phone. It is pretty easy, and MUCH more flexible than with an iPhone/iTunes.

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow