56 mp fx ?

Started Feb 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
Grevture Veteran Member • Posts: 4,188
The Megapixel Race - at a Snails Pace ... :-)

carlk wrote:

coudet wrote:

Valant wrote:

With the advent of the d7100: Will the next FX camera be around the 56mp mark? Or is that pushing the boat too far out?

Or not far enough?

Anyway. History tells us that increases in resolution have, so far, happened very, very slowly. We were at ~ 12mp in 2002, and all these years later there's a single 36mp camera and a bunch at 18-24mp..

You're right. Especially if you look at the linear resolution which is the squre root of MP. We have not even doubled the resolution in 10 years. Many people are talking about MP war but in reality it did not progress very fast. Not as fast as in other electronic products like processors or memories.

Nice to read some sensible thoughts - and in a forum too

Over the years I have often been amazed by so many people being upset over what they call the "megapixel race" and similar expressions. When in fact the resolution of sensors is one of the slowest growing properties of cameras. Size of memory cards (particularly if you look at the space/dollar ratio), processor capacity, battery capacity, dynamic range, even framerate (looking at the average for all cameras) has grown faster.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

Grevture's gear list:Grevture's gear list
Nikon D70s Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow