Image stabilization; who has the best?

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Questions thread
joejack951 Senior Member • Posts: 2,682
Re: Image stabilization; who has the best?

Allan Olesen wrote:

I don't know about you and EinsteinsGhost, but in my experience, there is almost always some kind of action when I use long focal lengths. Apart from the occasional moon shot, I can't remember using long focal lengths for still subjects.

Look up Lance B.'s gallery. He posts a lot in the Nikon SLR lens forum. He frequently shoots wildlife with a 500/4VR and takes advantage of both the lens's VR and animals' freakish abilities to sit still.

And if there is action, I need some rather high shutter speed anyway, no matter how good the image stabilization is. I pretty much agree that 2 stops of stabilization help is all I can utilize without getting motion blur from subject movement.

That depends on the focal length, of course. At 800mm (not unreasonable with teleconverters and/or a crop camera), you can still freeze some action even at 3 stops of stabilization (1/100").

So that leaves the short focal lengths. I sometimes shoot non-moving subjects at short focal lengths, but most of the time it is only slow-moving objects like living humans or leaves in trees. With a 2 stop improvement it should be possible to hand hold an APS-C camera at around 1/10 of a second at 28 mm focal length. If the shutter speed get slower than that, even a slow-moving subject will be blurred.

Dark interiors of rooms/churches/museums seems to be popular for short focal lengths and stabilization. Not something I shoot much of but I've seen enough pics like that to know that some people do a lot of it.

So yes, if you are taking photos of really non-moving subjects, you may be able to utilize more than 2 stops of stabilization improvement. But if you shoot action or slow-moving subjects, I doubt it.

On super-telephotos a large benefit of in-lens stabilization is helping with framing and AF. You aren't counting stops there but the better the stabilization works, the easier it is to use those lenses even for action.

joejack951's gear list:joejack951's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D300S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow