nikon D7100 - how will Canon respond?

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 13,618
Re: Really? Please explain further...

Jerry-astro wrote:

Bob--

Some great examples there. Thanks for posting them. Some of this may have to do with different subject matter and shooting styles as well. Lately, I've been doing a fair amount of vacation photography, where you often don't have the luxury of waiting for perfect light. You spend a limited amount of time in a given place and you have to capture your shots under whatever conditions are available. In brightly lit areas like the Caribbean (our latest trip), DR at low ISOs can be pretty darn important, even when you use ETTR to optimize the exposure. I've had some luck with HDR under those conditions, but it demands a pretty static scene with little or no motion, and that doesn't always work.

I understand as I've been there and done that.  When my wife and I travel I'm out at dawn with my good kit photographing for an hour or two.  She's up and ready for breakfast when I return and then we sight see during the day and I carry only a P&S or if the day is overcast or the Sun is veiled I might take the good kit depending on what we're doing.  If we return early enough I'll catch good light again for the two hours before sunset, my wife will relax or might nap and then we do dinner.

I've now got a G1X for the P&S duties.  I've not had too much issue shooting in mid-day Sun if necessary (just that the quality of light sucks) and if the shot is important I'll bracket.  I never shoot anything but RAW.

I do think that shooting RAW buys an amazing amount of latitude under those sorts of conditions, however, even with that, I'd welcome an improvement in sensor technology that reduces the need for extensive PP to crank back the blown highlights and/or bring up the shadows. HDRs are fun, but very time consuming and at best, an iffy proposition.

Jerry

HDR's are for for limited times when you have a tripod but apparently some are getting decent results with the 5D3 handheld but I've stuck with my 7D.  Again, for my taste I've not had much of an issue with blocked shadows or blown highlights but eveyone has different taste and may have different shooting styles.  25+ years of shooting narrow lattitude slide film probably has me preconditioned.

I too will welcome any advancement in sensor technology as it can only help but I'm just not sure how much I'll use it.  Like a car that can do 0 - 60 in 5 seconds it's cool to have but after you do it a few times and impress your friends it doesn't matter much for 99.9999% of the miles you drive the car.

Take care,

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ajy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
MAC
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow