nikon D7100 - how will Canon respond?

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
noirdesir Forum Pro • Posts: 13,368
Re: Hopefully with no AA filter on the 7D II...

bobn2 wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Reality has resolution limitations, and in photography we are well used to resolution limitations. Aliasing artefacts are something different, in look and in what you can do about them. Different, hence different term. Clarity is not helped by conflating different things under the same term.

That can be sometimes the case but is anything here to us unclear about what we mean with the effect of an AA filter or the effect of AA-filterless discrete sampling?

I think it is, if you wish to conflate aliasing artefacts with blurring 'artefacts'. They are very different visually and in what you can do about them.

Every properly design sampled system requires an anti aliasing filter. The reason is that i you don't you produce information that is ambiguous - that is the same data can be produced by a number (potentially infinite) stimuli. In this case, the image projected on the sensor is the stimulus, and the signal produced by the sensor is the data. Once you have that situation, it is impossible to determine which of those stimuli is correct, choose the wrong one and you get artefacts. An unartifacted data set represents a complete, one to one description of the image, within the limits of the sampling theory.

Sure but photographers might have a different idea of an ideal image.

Certainly. I never said it was wrong to prefer the crunchy unrealistic look of an aliased image. That is a personal choice. There is no rule that says you have to like realism.

That ideal image might not be mathematically possible but it is still a reference point that a lot of people might understand and discussing things using this reference point might help people understand things.

If the 'ideal image' is subjective and different for different people, it cannot be a reference point.

With 'ideal image' I meant an image without "A drop in the spatial frequency response near Nyquist." and without aliasing artefacts.

If that is the idea of a perfect image for a significant portion of photographers then it might be helpful explain how real images differ from that ideal image. That was the essence of my first post here, saying that one always has to deviate somewhat from that ideal image, no matter what one does.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ajy
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
tko
MAC
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow