iMac question for Nikon D800 files help needed

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
John Deerfield Veteran Member • Posts: 3,022
Re: iMac question for Nikon D800 files help needed

noirdesir wrote:

John Deerfield wrote:

And why would that be? Because a boot drive might fail more often or suffer corruption because it used more? Or because it might more often need to be completely erased (which would require a shuffle of the images)?

Sure, those are good reasons.

In 20 years owning Macs, I never had to erase my boot drive except once when I took one wrong turn running the migration assistant, but I also had to erase my (new) data drive because it was also affected by my MA mistake. I also never had a boot drive fail.

Hard drives fail. It's as simple as that. Just because you haven't had a boot drive fail doesn't mean it doesn't happen. In my 12-years of owning Macs,, I do a clean install about once a year. Probably one of the best things I do. But I am not suggesting everyone do this. Just that personal experience, no matter how good or bad, isn't anecdotal for the best way of doing things.

So, yes, there is a marginal case that a boot drive gets used more and is more likely to fail but using two drives instead of one also increases your likelihood that one of will fail.

Marginally. It isn't like we are talking server clusters. In any case, whether your data is on the boot drive or an external drive, data back up is highly recommended.

And in this case, the internal drive is 5400rpm which is slower. And, using an external drive for your data is going to be faster: one set of read/write heads to run the computer and another to cache data (images).

You said putting image on a boot drive is not recommended. That was an advise regarding boot drives not an advice to avoid putting (any) data on a 5400 rpm drive. And I would rather have a fast drive for my boot volume than for my data volume.

Yes, I did say that and still recommend it. In this case the boot drive and the 5400 rpm drive are one and the same so I didn't feel I needed to make any distinction. Between a 5400 rpm drive and a 7200 rpm as a boot drive, there isn't a great deal of real world difference. Now if you want to go the route of a SSD or RAID set up, that would make a difference. But by that same token, a RAID hard drive set up for data would be faster as well. As I said, for me right now, hard drive speed is my largest bottleneck with D600 files. These files are huge in Photoshop and saving a layer 16-bit file takes some time.

As a bonus, it's easier to move your data to a new computer!

Only if the external drive is data only, if your user account is also on it, it is actually more work (as MA won't migrate the system to one drive and the user accounts to another). It is a bit quicker because you have to copy less data but then this something happening only every couple of years.

I have never used MA so I can't comment. I have purchased several new computers over the years and the only thing I do is install the apps and plug in my hard drive tower with my data on it. Done.

In the end, there are several great reasons to use an external drive for your data.

And now-a-days I can't think of any reason not too.

Clutter? Laptops? Extra backup routines to set up? If your user account is still on boot drive, you will have to distribute data manually between the two drives when the boot drive fills up.

The G-Tech I linked to hardly qualifies as clutter & can be used on a laptop. I have no idea why using an external drive would result in "extra" back up routines. Unless you mean having a clone of your boot drive and a back up drive of your data. Even then it isn't all that time consuming as a clone of your boot drive needs done once. And I don't even do that anymore. The two case scenarios a clone protects me from aren't worth my time to clone the drive. I can slip another drive in and have my apps installed in a matter of hours (and all my data is safe on my external drives).  And I have no idea what you are saying about distributing my data manually between two drives. Especially if I am using an external drive: my data simply goes there and only there (plus a back up).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow