HDD upgrade path for 2008 unibody Macbook

Started Feb 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mike Boreham Senior Member • Posts: 1,367
Re: HDD upgrade path for 2008 unibody Macbook

Just a few thoughts to throw in.

You will definitely notice a difference for SSD. The random access time and small file read times transform the whole user experience., even for lower spec and older models. No point in getting a 6G model, since money seems important in this you might find a second hand one.

I would get the largest SSD you can. For me 64Gb would be tight even for just OS and apps, and minimum user files.

If you go the SSD plus Optibay route you could consider combining the SSD and HDD into a Fusion Drive (assuming you are on 10.8.2) I have done this on both my MBPs and delighted with it. My MBPs are 2010 and 2011 but I don't believe there is any reason why you couldn't run a Fusion drive in 2008 machine.

Beware that you can't boot Windows from an external optical device or USB stick...so things that need this capability (Bootcamp, SSD firmware updates) are a problem.

(EDIT I have edited the initial version of this reply quite heavily after realising what it says in the title that you have a Unibody...initial reply was thinking earlier aluminium!)

Mike Boreham's gear list:Mike Boreham's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Apple iPhone XS Max +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow