Image stabilization; who has the best?

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Questions thread
EinsteinsGhost
EinsteinsGhost Forum Pro • Posts: 11,977
Re: Image stabilization; who has the best?

With people yearning for in-body stabilization in NEX, it is clear that once you get used to in-body stabilization, it just works to expand your choices.

Personally, regardless of IBIS or OSS, I prefer not having to use it. But if I don’t have a choice, then I prefer to rely on it for no more than couple of stops. If more stops are necessitated, chances are, the imaging circumstances aren’t good enough. For example, if Sony had 4-stops of image stabilization with a fast 200mm lens on APS-C, we’d be looking at 1/20s at best. But, what would be the point of using such lens at such shutter speed? Chances are, the most I would find useful would be 1-stop (1/160s) which can reasonably freeze motion, although, ideally, I would rather have stabilization turned off to speed up AF.

In the end, I feel there is limited use within reason (1-2 stops) and then there is marketing-only.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow