D800 is within factory standard! Needs +20 to stop it front focusing.

Started Feb 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
SAAdFlyer New Member • Posts: 23
Re: D800 is within factory standard! Needs +20 to stop it front focusing.

I am in the same boat with Nikon, in this case the Melville NY department. Early May 2012 purchase, with a weak left AF sensor. 1st repair took 3 weeks and took care of the AF, but came back severely front focused (+19/20) on multiple primes and  variable on zooms on the + side. Sent back in second time - no change (took 2 weeks). Returned back and it stayed with them for 6 weeks with two go arounds.

Bottom line, Nikon are holding firm that the camera is operating within specifications, and the issue, if any is related to lens(es) used. On 5 lenses? Come on. I have sent both Focal and Focus Tune results. Focus Tune also creates images of the Lens Align target and it doesn't take too much to see that there is an issue.

I am now going to send it in with one prime and one zoom for the fourth time. My concern is the same as primeshooter's - the camera is at its sharpest at +20. That's great - can it be sharper? We'd all be happier if the peak sharpness is in the middle of the range so that we have some leeway with lenses. Also, on the lens align target the focus at AFMA 0 is about 2 inches in front of the intended target (guesstimate- see images).

Would you be happy with Nikon? I simply don't know what recourse I have at this point with Nikon.

AFMA 0

AFMA +20

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow