New Sensor technology coming out in the next 18 months?

Started Dec 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Leonard Migliore
Leonard Migliore Forum Pro • Posts: 14,935
Take a look in the Beginners Questions forum

philippe trougouboff wrote:

Hi, I'm new on DPR and have a question for the veterans: I was an happy D90 user til it was stolen :-(. Now I'm searching for replacement and I hesitate a lot. I would like something like D7000, but I heard it will perhaps be soon upgraded. Is it worth to wait? What about the D5200? I'm not a pro, so an entry/middle level seem enough for me. Thanks fro any suggetions, comments, etc.

Your post is not going to generate a lot of responses here; it's buried in a thread about something else.

On the other hand, if you start a new "What camera should I get" thread, it won't get a lot of responses either because it's been asked hundreds of times. So your best course of action may be to look at some of the previous "What camera" threads in the Beginners Questions forum.

With respect to your present situation, cameras are always getting upgraded. The D7000 is the direct successor to the D90 with a much better sensor; you would probably be very happy with it since it's everything you liked only better. The D5200 has more megapixels, which is not all that useful. It has a much lower-grade body than the D90 with a dimmer finder. I suspect you would find it to be a downgrade.

Of course, it's possible that the D7100 will be introduced this week, which might be annoying. But I would still go for a D7000, especially if the camera is discounted.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Sony RX100 III Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow