Mom's with Cameras killing your business?

Started Feb 16, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rebecca93
Rebecca93 Regular Member • Posts: 219
I am a mom and your assumptions are dead wrong!

I do not take pictures with a phone. They are not blurry and I do not use a kit lens. I also don't charge for my pictures despite friends and family urging me to do so. I take interesting, well exposed, focused, candid pictures of my family and friends  The problem I have with professional photography today is that what I am offered "for sale" is canned photography done by amatures with cheap gear and no imagination. The sports field and my kids school are now using photography franchises for Team/school pictures. The team picture I just bought was done with the kids up against a chain link fence with a rebel and a speedlight. I COULD do better with my iphone...yet I paid 15 dollars for a 5X7. I stopped buying the school pictures because they were so boring.  I can tell you that there is a need for good professional photographers. At the end of a sports season I like to get the best picture I have of every kid on the team, print out a 5X7 and then give it to them as a gift. I am amazed at the compliments people give me. Some offer to pay for the picture others urge me to open my own business (lol if it were only that easy) but they all look at the picture in amazement and love seeing a quality shot of their child. The "problem" as I see it, is not "moms with cameras" but that anyone with a camera can call themselves a professional.  The truth is, people don't even know what quality photographs look like these days. SHOW THEM

-- hide signature --

Rebecca

Rebecca93's gear list:Rebecca93's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow