Is Canon's Digital Photo Professional really that terrible on the Mac? (I think yes)

Started Feb 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Matt Daddy Junior Member • Posts: 34
Is Canon's Digital Photo Professional really that terrible on the Mac? (I think yes)

I just got my 6D with the 24-105mm lens a few days ago.  Very happy with the camera so far!  I've been using both DXO Optics Pro and Photoshop (CS6) for a while now, but I thought I would check out Digital Photo Professional just for the heck of it.

I tried installing it on my ~5 year old Mac Pro (which had been running OS 10.6.8).  On the installer CD (for Canon digital solutions v27.1), I would click on Install and the program would start to run and immediately abort with no error message or anything.

I did some web searching and found other people had the same problem.  My wife (my system admin spent a couple of hours messing around with the OS and somehow managed to get DPP to install and run.  What a crock, it shouldn't be that much work.

Since then she upgraded the Mac Pro to Mountain Lion.  DPP was still running, but now I tried editing a photo for the first time, and I realized I needed to add the data for the 2 lenses I have, so I selected them in the list and clicked "Start".  It seemed to download the files, then asked for my admin password, and then a box popped up saying "An error occurred."

I tried a web search and couldn't find anyone else with the same problem.  But I have to say, I'm thinking that the Canon EOS software stinks if you have a Mac, it just doesn't really work.  Has anyone else had similar problems (with or without a solution)?

(I realize maybe I should have posted this on the Mac forum, but it's specific to Canon's software so I posted it here.)

Canon EOS 6D Nikon 1 V2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow