Moving from E-PL1 to? .. Pairing the GX1 w/Oly lenses? .. a bad idea for a me?

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Iasso New Member • Posts: 7
Moving from E-PL1 to? .. Pairing the GX1 w/Oly lenses? .. a bad idea for a me?

Hi folks, this is my first post on DPR and I'm looking for some direction.

After many trusty years my old Oly E-PL1 is on it's last legs, and now that I'm in the market again I'm seeing the Panasonics being rated higher than Oly in picture quality and darker lighting ISO performance.

I wish I could get the G5KK based on all the reviews or wait for a GX2 but such is not the case, because #1: I need the smaller bulk factor, and #2: time is of the essence.  I also considered the Sony NEX 5N but because I do use my camera for video, all the reviews regarding the clicking while recording really burned me.

As to my use.. I am an avid hiker and traveler.. though not a pro photographer.  I've shot in all sorts of environments and would like something that could:

• handle being brought up in a pack to a mountain peak
  • shipped in luggage
  • handle changing or cold temps decently
  • have a quick turn-on time, and focus decently fast.
  • Having low bulk is a must(sorry G5KK )
  • Having a single-hand side grip is a must
  • Having internal flash would be desirable, if possible
  • Improvement for low-light shooting vs my E-PL1 highly desired
  • can take decent video with audio without added issues from camera

Which brings me here, to ask you guys to evaluate my conclusion with what is the best I could get right now.  As I am trying to pair together a Panasonic GX1 with Oly lenses I have run into only one issue noted by others on the boards here.. that since Oly has IS in the body, and Pan has IS in it's lenses.. will the total loss of IS by pairing a GX1 body with an Oly lens be catastrophic for someone who shoots with the best stabilization a single hand could offer?

OR should I simply:

• bite the bullet
  • buy the GX1 and Pan lenses with optical IS
  • sell my nice Oly lenses

All to have IS in some form?

(I should note that neither me nor my subjects are moving extraordinarily fast, but both the subjects or I are in motion at least 50% of the time)

Thank you for any help!

ANSWER:
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow