Want to learn Photography, Which is the best DSLR for it ?

Started Feb 17, 2013 | Questions thread
GreenMountainGirl Contributing Member • Posts: 684
Re: Want to learn Photography, Which is the best DSLR for it ?

Although I am not at a very advanced level myself, perhaps my thinking process will help. My first digital camera was a point-and-shoot, no control over anything. Outgrew that, and did research online to figure out what DSLR to purchase. I decided to buy the best I could afford, knowing that the learning curve would be steep. But for me it meant that after spending the money, I would not be outgrowing this one any time soon. Purchased the Nikon D7000 and two "kit" lenses. I know that the lenses are very important - in some ways more so than the camera body - but the ones I chose (18-105mm and 55-300mm) were what I needed for the present as I was learning.

My method for research was a combination of reviews (as seen on sites like this one) and comparing cameras and prices on photography store websites (in the USA, one trusted site is www.bhphotovideo.com). I was able to determine from this process that the D7000 fitted my criteria.

Now I know my camera better (still love it, still learning), and have purchased a few accessories (tripod, circular polarizer, faster SD cards, wired and wireless remote shutter releases). Now I want to invest in better lenses when I can. Looking for micro, Internal focus lenses, longer lenses, and also graduated ND filters.

So for any beginner, it is always good to start with the basics and work up from there. It is a lot of fun, but there is always more to learn, and you will learn what you need as you go.

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow