How limiting is lack of image stabilization in Pany bodies?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Questions thread
Alumna Gorp Senior Member • Posts: 1,531
Re: How limiting is lack of image stabilization in Pany bodies?

bowportes wrote:

This entire discussion ceased to be helpful to the original poster about 50 comments ago. The reality is that lack of image stabilization in Panny bodies is indeed a limiting factor or constraint. Is it one that people can work around? Certainly. Is it a constraint that matters little if you already own stabilized lenses? Probably. Is it one among many constraints associated with the features of camera bodies? Undoubtedly. Other constraints are:

1. No flash in the camera. (You have to bring one along or do without.)

2. No articulating screen. (You are limited to landscape rather than portrait shooting shooting if you need to hold your camera overhead or below the waste.)

3. A 16:9 shaped LCD panel. (You see the image smaller on the panel when it is actually bigger, and you see it bigger when it is actually cropped.)

4. Few physical control buttons (You have to delve into menus.)

5. No Electronic View Finder (You can't hold the camer to your eye to block out the sun and help to stabilize it.)

6. A lens without optical stabilization (You have to use it without stabilization or on a body that has IBIS.)

7. No electronic shutter (You can't operate silently in a theater, worship service, or meeting.)

8. Larger size camera (You can't drop it in a pants pocket.)

Photography is full of constraints. The question is which constraints you prefer and which don't bother you. I own an Olympus EPL5 with IBIS and a Panny G5 without it. As I said in an earlier post, I rarely pick the camera I'm going to carry based upon "lack of image stabilization in the camera body." Usually size and ergonomics are more of a concern. When size matters, I take the EPL5. When ergonomics, larger lenses, or ease of shooting matters, I tend to carry the G5.

Why does a thread like this have to descend to the level of personal debates? The OP may have stopped reading long ago.

Your right, the question was answered long ago, anybody remember what the OP was originally asking, seems a lot of you are failing to give a strait answer.

"However, what troubles me is the lack of IS in the Pany bodies. if I want the advantages of IS (and I am battling to understand why one wouldn't), then am I not excluding the option of using Olympus lenses and many third party lenses which are not stabilized with the Pany body?"

If your looking at using IS for what ever reason and you buy into Panasonic your lens choices will be limited.

On the other hand if you bought into Olympus there will be no such restrictions, all lenses will be stabilised.

Simple don`t you think.

Alumna Gorp's gear list:Alumna Gorp's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow