Upgrading from a D7k and wondering, D800 or D600?

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
J Craig H Regular Member • Posts: 161
Re: Upgrading from a D7k and wondering, D800 or D600?

One of the best things is to download a raw file and see how your computer handles it. In fact I just did, using the raw file on here:

http://www.fotopolis.pl/index.php?n=14565&p=1

I'm seriously considering a D800 too (the 'E' is just a bridge too far). I must say I found that file really surprising: Just about the same in LR4's develop module - really couldn't see any noticeable difference between those and the humble D300 files, plus I have Adobe Reader open, several word documents, about 50 Firefox tabs, and I just looked down and noticed Powerpoint is open too for some reason   This isn't me crowing about my laptop because its pretty run of the mill for recent one - an Asus with 8GB of RAM and a 2.3G i7.

Maybe a couple of caveats to this:

- The only noticeable lag was in exporting to and from Nik plug-ins. Probably 3 seconds longer, just long enough to stretch and consider one's place in the universe.

- In the past it's been noted that the more files your Lightroom catalogue holds the slower it gets, so I think it'd be wise to keep preening it down with D800 files in it.

- Finally, although I'm almost numb with boredom over this stuff now, there is, according to Nikonrumors a press conference on the 21st of this month, with a possibility of a D7000 replacement being announced. It'll probably turn out to be about a new waterproof housing for a coolpix but you may at least want to keep an eye on that for a day or two as part of your decision making process.

Craig

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow