D800E lens strategy - will this work?

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Emil Varadi OP Senior Member • Posts: 1,275
Funding is the problem...

Thank you all for your valuable contributions. It's always good to learn other approaches to the same problem.

I do know that I will be quite OK with the trinity zooms on the D800E. The 14-24 and the 24-70 are obvious choices. But then I will have no money left for top primes. Have to say I am a bad maximizer and simply have to climb to the top of the mountain, climbing near the peak will not satisfy.

I did shoot with a borrowed set of D700, 14-24, 28-70 and 70-300VR last summer in Iceland, and one of my pictures is now at an photo exihibition in a central gallery here in Belgrade, where I currently work and live. So I know well that top Nikon zooms mounted on a good FF body do leave my DX zooms in the dust. As Pete had reminded me, I may have, however, underestimated the "pain" of shooting weaker lenses on a D800E. (Knowing what cameras exist today has a similar effect on shooting with my D300. I still go out to shoot, but much of the fun is gone).

Since I do a lot of urban shooting, just walking along the streets shooting passers by, buildings, window frames, grafitti, or anything unusual, the DX zooms seemed like a good solution. You don't need top IQ for such images, but do need the flexibility of zooms. But for landscapes and high quality images I will have top primes and top IQ.

So after buying the D800E I see two upgrade paths:

1. buy 14-24, 24-70, keep the 70-300VR and also my treasured Voigtlander 125/2.5, and sell 12-24, 16-85 and 35/1.8 DX;

2. keep all lenses except the 35/1.8 DX,  and "just" buy top primes like 24/1.4, 21/2.8, 85/1.4 or 1.8 or the 28/1.8. Will buy them one by one as time passes and funds allow.

Sure, my dilemmas would be smaller if I could reconcile myself with the D600 instead of the D800E, but so far I could not give up the idea to buy this über-camera. It's just too good.

Another option is to keep collecting top lenses and buy an a FF camera sometime later. However the jump in IQ with the D800E is too big to be ignored.

Emil Varadi's gear list:Emil Varadi's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TOF guy MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow