How limiting is lack of image stabilization in Pany bodies?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Questions thread
mrxak Regular Member • Posts: 218
Re: Old School

idiotekniQues wrote:

mrxak wrote:

idiotekniQues wrote:

mrxak wrote:

idiotekniQues wrote:

mrxak wrote:

Any shot where image stabilization is going to be a critical factor in the outcome of the picture is probably well outside your typical experience in photography. I'd even bet I can get the same exact shot without image stabilization, too, with a little creativity. Long shutter times can be compensated for easily, cheaply, if you have a bit of experience and enough motivation.

this statement is ridiculous. i'll bet i can get the exact same shot better with IS as you can without as long as i am a smart photographer and utilize it properly. all things being equal, i will outshoot you.

"exact same shot better" is a ridiculous statement

meaning as in same shot framing wise and FOV wise under the same lighting conditions, with the equipment being the same save for IS.

all the skill in the world wouldn't be able to change the fact that a smart photographer with IS could get multiple stops better exposure than you could. instead of 3200ISO, get the shot at 400ISO. sure you could underexpose and pull out a faster shutter speed let's say, but it wouldn't change the fact that my image would be cleaner, better and exposed properly.

not saying every photographer will be in those situations. but it happens often enough for enough photogs that it does help some out for sure.

If you want to restrict my equipment, sure, you might be able to get a slightly less blurry shot in low light situations with a slow lens. But I don't need fancy equipment, just something to lean against, or a bean bag, or a monopod, or even just a soft camera bag. The effect is the same, stabilizing the camera. The fact is, a creative photographer knows how to work with his or her environment and equipment to get the shot. An experienced photographer knows what kind of light he or she will be facing, and prepares ahead of time.

The question being asked by the OP is what are the limitations with Panasonic bodies that don't have IBIS. The answer is, none at all. Blurry photographs is a problem that's already been solved. IS in any of its forms, optical or in-body, simply try to duplicate what photographers have been doing forever.

You used a car analogy earlier, with seatbelts. That's not at all what IS is. IS is like those cars that can parallel park themselves automatically. Potentially useful, sure. Necessary, not at all. All you need is an experienced driver behind the wheel who knows how to parallel park. Laziness is not always a virtue.

I never said IS is a bad thing, which is why your hostility to my initial post is such a bizarre overreaction. Like I said, I keep OIS on for the lenses I have that have OIS. But for every photograph I take, I'm keeping in mind my shutter speed and the effect it will have. Before I go out shooting, I consider what kind of light I'll have available, and choose lenses accordingly. I consider exposure, aperture, ISO, and what equipment I'll need in terms of supplemental lighting or a tripod.

If I can't get a picture, using film or digital, IS or no IS, it's a failure of creativity or a failure of timing, not a failure of equipment. The best solutions are often the cheapest, most low-tech. Film photographers knew this. Perhaps newer, digital photographers relying on their cameras to do everything for them could use a little old school thinking.

Stabilization, of any sort, is rarely needed. It's good for exactly one thing, stationary low-light subjects where narrow aperture is mandatory and additional lighting isn't possible. How often do you really encounter that situation? How often does anyone? If you do encounter that situation, lacking the foresight to bring along tripod or beanbag, then perhaps IS will save the day. Perhaps leaning against something will instead. Perhaps the greater inertia of a heavier camera will instead. Perhaps a higher ISO rating will instead.

It's ridiculous to think that just because a new solution comes along, that there aren't already dozens of old ones that still work just fine.

if you can't realize what you type then i can't really help you understand.

all things being the same meaning guess what, i can lean against something to. i consider all the same things you consider as a smart photographer. what do you think, that doesnt happen? did smart photographers not exist before digital from film? what other ridiculous analogy can you amke?

i took a shot at 1/4 or so shutter speed by leaning against a wall and using IS to create motion blur because i was already at a very high ISO for my camera and going that many stops higher would have made an unusable shot. etc. etc.. guess what, that shot would have been gone if i went home to get a tripod. oh wait carry a tripod everywhere? not reasonable. wait, why not carry IS everywhere if i shoot in constantly varying situations? no not with your logic, always another way to fix it. sorry, not true.

no matter how you try to frame it for yourself, IS can be very useful for many photographers. is it necessary for all photographers? no. some never shoot in low light or don't even care. regardless, it's a very useful tool for many. the problem with your statement was that it basically said it's useless, no matter what there were techniques to compensate for it.

sorry buddy, get with the times, a smart photographer can utilize a 3-4 stop advantage in shooting with all other factors being the same to make a better picture than an equivalent smart pjhotographer stuck with the same lighting and equipment situations.

Alright, so you're saying you have a tripod, and I have a tripod. So then what do you need IS for again?

mrxak's gear list:mrxak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow