Selling my OM-D and returning to 60D

Started Feb 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
Paul De Bra
Paul De Bra Forum Pro • Posts: 12,397
My Canon vs Olympus E-M5 experience is the opposite.

Granted, I'm coming from the lowly 450D, not the newer 60D. But your experience seems to contradict what reviews say. The dynamic range of Canon is not so good: shadow noise has been demonstrated to be not so good as with Nikon and Sony, so the Canon sensor is actually not the best.

I noticed an increase in dynamic range going from the 450D to E-M5. I also noticed that white balance needs less tweaking on the E-M5 RAW files than with the 450D. Especially in Tungsten lighting Canon is known for producing images that are too warm.

Nothing against the Canon gear, but in the balance between larger and heavier Canon gear versus smaller and lighter Olympus gear with similar image quality my choice went to smaller and lighter. If you think the 60D and its lenses are not too large and heavy then sure, keep the large and heavy stuff. Many people on the m43 forum will disagree with your choice. Many people here came to m43 to reduce the size and weight of their setup.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow