How limiting is lack of image stabilization in Pany bodies?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Questions thread
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,424
Re: How limiting is lack of image stabilization in Pany bodies?

I had many years of camera use before IS was even a gleam in anybody's eye, so I developed good holding and stabilizing techniques as part of learning basic photographic skills.  The first IS I had was an OIS 55-200mm lens for my D90, and I did appreciate its help in the long telephoto range.

When I got my first M43 (an EPL1), I thought the IBIS worked ok, but it really couldn't fully compensate for my motion at the longer end of the 40-150mm on that tiny, light body.  After I switched over to the Panasonic M43s, I discovered that the OIS on their lenses performed better for me than the original IBIS on the Oly bodies, especially at longer focal lengths.

I am quite sure the new type of IBIS in the E-M5 is really the star of the M43 IS choices, but have not personally had a chance to use one to compare.  The IBIS on the rest of the Olys is not, IMO, as good as the OIS on the Panasonic stabilized lenses.

So, what does this mean in real world use?  Well, the only thing it means, for me, is that I buy longer zooms that are stabilized.  The 14-140mm and the 100-300mm work much better for me at their long ends than unstabilized lenses. However, NONE of my other lenses are stabilized, and I use them all the time with excellent results.  I have the Oly 12mm, 45mm; Panasonic 14mm and 25mm, and a bunch of legacy lenses that go from 35mm to 135mm, including a 55 mm macro that I use a LOT.  I honestly don't miss IBIS on any of the shorter lenses, and only occasionally would like it on the 45mm and above that I have.

So, the answer to your question? For me, not limiting at all.

-J

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow