How limiting is lack of image stabilization in Pany bodies?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Questions thread
idiotekniQues
idiotekniQues Senior Member • Posts: 1,255
Re: How limiting is lack of image stabilization in Pany bodies?

lsundy wrote:

Hi

I've been considering (for a while now) buying a Pany G3/G5 kit, which, together with a wide angle and/or portrait prime, would hopefully give me a step-up from my current Pany FZ-35.

However, what troubles me is the lack of IS in the Pany bodies. if I want the advantages of IS (and I am battling to understand why one wouldn't), then am I not excluding the option of using Olympus lenses and many third party lenses which are not stabilized with the Pany body?

This clearly does not seem to bother the thousands of Pany m43 users out there, and I am hoping that someone can explain to me why!

Thanks

Len

I love IS. Loved it on my Canon 17-55 and my 70-300, and I love it now with all my lenses. While waiting for the right smaller camera to come along, one reason I let the NEX 5 get released and go by me was because i heard of IBIS coming on the upcoming Oly body. That and knowing MFT had and would continue to have a better lens selection.

I find it useful for all handheld macro, telephoto of course in decent light as well, and low light shooting. Sometimes to purposely create motion blur while handheld is also a nice creative tool that has given me some nice snaps. Even if light is decent as I said that 150mm shot you had to shoot at 800 or 1600 is now going to be fine at 400ISO. Low light shots outside of buildings, indoor areas, etc... now you get to again take that shot from 1600ISO down to 400, gaining Dynamic Range and cleaner images.

I also enjoy it for composing shots that are either handheld macro or 100mm+ because now in your viewfinder you see a steadier image. I remember loving my Canon IS lenses when I would look through the viewfinder and it would be shaky and then a half-press of the shutter kicks the IS in and SNAP, steady as she goes.

IT depends on what you shoot though. But I love IS. One day I'll have the money and I'll strongly consider the GH3 as a 2nd body. I know it does some things better than my OM-D, but the only main feature missing, to me at least, is IBIS. Depends what lenses I have at the time as well.

Also, the GH3 is clearly the video king. However for a person like me who rarely shoots video but for some stuff of my little niece, so you know, casual family vids, the IBIS is like super steadycam.

I find it invaluable in many instances. Canon shooters and Nikon shooters, we have all done without IBIS forever as they simply don't have it, so clearly you can adjust with your selection of lens purchases. I did, I wouldn't have bought a telephoto lens without IS, so it is a choice. Having it in body to me is the logical progression though once experiencing it in individual lenses.

FYI shutter shock has been seen in multiple MFT bodies and lens combos independent of brand. The gentleman who said shutter shock is because of IBIS is totally wrong.

-- hide signature --

www.pixelsquish.com

idiotekniQues's gear list:idiotekniQues's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow