How limiting is lack of image stabilization in Pany bodies?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Questions thread
Vlad S Veteran Member • Posts: 3,750
Not really limiting

lsundy wrote:

Hi

I've been considering (for a while now) buying a Pany G3/G5 kit, which, together with a wide angle and/or portrait prime, would hopefully give me a step-up from my current Pany FZ-35.

However, what troubles me is the lack of IS in the Pany bodies. if I want the advantages of IS (and I am battling to understand why one wouldn't), then am I not excluding the option of using Olympus lenses and many third party lenses which are not stabilized with the Pany body?

It is not limiting.  I have noticed that in the vast majority of situations where stabilization is not available, but necessary, I would not expect a high quality result anyway, so I do not feel it's a limitation for creativity. For short and medium focal lengths image stabilization is an aid, not a necessity, and for long lenses it's available in-lens, the only exception being Olympus 75mm.

Vlad

Vlad S's gear list:Vlad S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow