How limiting is lack of image stabilization in Pany bodies?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Questions thread
bcalkins Regular Member • Posts: 363
Not that limiting

While the IBIS is a great feature, the fact is that people shoot with (mostly) non stabilized primes on Canon and Nikon, and very successfully.

I used to use Panasonic bodies, and now have an OMD. Interestingly, IBIS has chnaged my photography but not how one would think. I love shooting with primes, and the IBIS on the Oly means I can get 'great' handheld video of my kids and family, while getting the quality and speed of fast primes without having to change lenses and carry a stabilised zoom just for video. Too bad the Oly video quality is below Panny's, but my end use isn't that critical.

For still images, it helps more if you are a prime lens user, since most zooms are available in stabilized options. Panasonic makes two fast stabilized zooms and an OIS macro (plus the slower zooms). I'd miss it on my 75mm mostly, and the 25mm f1.4 to some degree. But basically the ois doesn't help my photos of people on lenses shorter than 25mm since I want 1/80s anyways. But I love it for video!

Not a deal breaker for me...just a nice to have.

bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow