How limiting is lack of image stabilization in Pany bodies?

Started Feb 13, 2013 | Questions thread
LincolnB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,314
Yep, I disagree

Alumna Gorp wrote:

lsundy wrote:

Hi

I've been considering (for a while now) buying a Pany G3/G5 kit, which, together with a wide angle and/or portrait prime, would hopefully give me a step-up from my current Pany FZ-35.

However, what troubles me is the lack of IS in the Pany bodies. if I want the advantages of IS (and I am battling to understand why one wouldn't), then am I not excluding the option of using Olympus lenses and many third party lenses which are not stabilized with the Pany body?

This clearly does not seem to bother the thousands of Pany m43 users out there, and I am hoping that someone can explain to me why!

Thanks

Len

I use both Panasonic and Olympus, if you like IS, then you will find Panasonic limiting.

Getting a Panasonic body will cripple your choices for lenses, this is a fact.

Inbody IS will give you a huge choice of lens options, all of which will be stabilised, this will include lensbabys, toy lenses, legacy lenses, as well as the complete range of micro 4/3 lenses, including those made by third parties.

Hard-line Pany users will probably disagree with what I`m saying, it is said that you don`t miss what you have never had.

I had in-body IS; I don't miss it.

I bought the E-P1 first before getting a G2 and then trading that up to a G3. I played with the IS on the Olympus extensively and with a variety of lenses.  I don't really miss it. What I found is in the situations where I was considering using IS the more effectively solution by far turned out to be something else, such as using a tripod or flash or a reflector or a faster lens or a body with better high ISO. My keeper rate is higher now, not lower. The only OIS lens I own is the kit lens for the G3.

There are a few shots where IS might have made the difference between a keeper and the dust bin, but it turns out that is very very few.

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha a7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow