RAW vs. JPEG

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
roby17269
roby17269 Senior Member • Posts: 1,364
Re: RAW vs. JPEG

asultan wrote:

thanks for the info so far.

I haven't helped much, but you're welcome

what ive gathered is, in a nutshell, that RAW is a lot better during the editing process because it gives you much more leeway to push exposure etc..

Correct

I would like to return to my original question. If I edit in RAW and convert to JPEF after, do I lose the potential advantage that the (potential) increase in colours in RAW format provides?

Short answer, yes. But in practice, sooner or later, you need to convert the RAW file into a JPEG image in order to share it online / share it with other people / etc.

I usually open a RAW file with ACR (part of Photoshop or Lightroom), process it partially with ACR, convert it to TIFF 16-bit (which maintains the colour depth of the RAW file), do whatever more complex processing I want in Photoshop and at the end convert the final TIFF into JPEG for sharing.

I keep the original RAW file backed up, in case I want to re-process it (and occasionally the TIFF image as well, if the processing has been extensive, but this happens less frequently, since TIFF 16-bit files are big!)

-- hide signature --
 roby17269's gear list:roby17269's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow