K-01: Samyang 85mm f/1.4 or Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm f/2.5?

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Unexpresivecanvas Senior Member • Posts: 1,158
Re: I have made bad decisions in my time ...

Hi Kyogle,

I think I understand where you are coming from. Using primes and focal fixed lenses definitely gives a different flavor to your pictures. Why don't you rent or buy the Pentax FA 1.4 50mm? It will give the equivalent of 75mm which is a good focal distance for portraits and it can be used on both manual and AF. Shot wide open allow you to get a nice bokeh and isolate the subjects from the background.

I believe as a previous poster mentioned, that current zooms offer a valid and good alternative to primes.

Now, if you have the DA 18-135mm WR or the 55-300mm DAL, you already have a good lens that can do good portraits if used adequately. Any focal distance, going wide open, will allow you to capture good portraits. Only thing is they start a f3.5, which means you may have to use high ISO for indoors.

Here are some shots taken with the 55-300mm.

I am of the idea that we have to try several approaches and   the zooms may give you the answers you are looking for.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow