As a huge Panasonic fan, I am quite disheartened by this interview:

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
mgd43 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,322
Re: As a huge Panasonic fan, I am quite disheartened by this interview:

I've been into photography for 45 years and some things haven't changed as much as some people think they have. When I was shooting with my Canon FTb 35mm SLR the vast majority of people were using Kodak Instamatics. They were cheap, easy to use, and had lousey image quality compared to a 35mm SLR or consumer grade rangefinder camera like a Canonet. They didn't care about image quality any more than they do today.

If anything people in general seem to care more about image quality today than they did then. I live in NYC and I see bus loads of tourists when I'm in Manhattan. I see very few of them shooting with their phones. I see lots of DSLR's and bridge cameras. It seems that their phones are fine for everyday snapshots, when they come to NYC, or any tourist spot (I imagine), they do want quality photos.

As for Panasonic, I shoot with Nikon DSLR's, but for compacts I have a Panasonic LX5 (just ordered an LX7) and a Panasonic ZS15. They may be poorly run, I don't know, but they still make very good cameras. They are also big in M4/3, a growing segmment of the camera market.

Sales for any product consist of additions to the market and replacements. The market for P&S cameras is now pretty much saturated with fewer additions to the market than in years past. Replacments for existing cameras is slowing, at least in part, because casual photographers who make up the vast majority of the market are satisfiied with the camera they own and do not rush out and buy ever new model that comes out. The world economy also doesn't help camera sales among the general public.

I see camera phones as a new sector of the camera market. It will not replace other sectors. I will exist alongside them.

mgd43's gear list:mgd43's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow