DP3M Poll: Who's interested?

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
SandyF Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941
Re: Stripes?

Roland Karlsson wrote:

SigmaChrome wrote:

Roland Karlsson wrote:

I am currently deciding what to do

• Buy an SD1M with one good lens. Then I get an IR camera for free.
  • Buy a DP2M and a close up lens
  • Buy a DP3M, mainly due to its better close up capability
  • Buy no Sigma camera at all

Based on your previous form, Roland, you'll choose the last option. But, go ahead and surprise us all!

You are probably right

But - I can reveal that there is just one little tiny thing right now that is the main reason why I hesitate. Its the stripes. I have looked at a RAW file of an image with stripes, and the stripes in the "blue" layer are VERY strong. There is no stripes in any other layer. So - some elaborate stripe removal algorithm is needed, which I assume the newer SPP does. Thats strange, and not so fun.

This issue needs investigation.

And if my observation is true, and I cannot device any reliable fix, then I doubt I will buy any Merrill camera.

The biggest question is of course if this stripes problem varies between cameras. Maybe sensors with such strong stripes are broken, and should be returned.

Just for clarification, what do you guys in this sub-thread mean by "stripes"?

BANDING?

for example in sky areas?

FWIW I shot the DP2Merrill at ISO200 all during the Death Valley trip, and I see some grainy type noise in the blue sky areas in many photos (see even the top Artists Palette series on my flickr link below... original (large) size is online.

But I honestly don't see a banding pattern in this 'noise' sky area. It doesn't show in the prints I've made to date, but I haven't printed large yet.

I understand that 'sky noise' is less at ISO100 than at ISO200. But I don't think I have any DV sky shots at ISO100 for comparison. Long way to travel back to Death Valley for a "do over" but I wish I had some shots at ISO100 AND had used [ ] metering rather than eval AND had set some +EV. Most of my DP2Merrill shots are too dark.... my fault. I'm bad at looking at histograms.

Anyway, please clarify what you mean by "stripes."

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current, Death Valley photos mentioned)

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow