What is this fascination with iso6400?

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Detail Man
Detail Man Forum Pro • Posts: 16,688
Re: What is this fascination with machines and their accouterments ?

mosswings wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

Adventsam wrote:

Do you think you will get quality images at iso6400 with any system, ever? they may be ok but useful for what exactly?

Face it, Sam ... Read Noise can indeed be a beautiful aesthetic. I myself love my GH2's Read Noise. I reminds me of inspirational stained-glass windows in a grand cathedral of column-ADC technology:

On the other hand, the E-M5's Read Noise rather reminds me of peering at seething, squirming bacterial cultures in a Petri dish through an out of focus microscope using my bum right eye:

E-M5 Read Noise (at SNR~12dB) is slightly higher than the GH2's. Oh well, to each their own !

YES! We're finally publishing pictures of the insides of lens caps with florid comparative commentary!

I have waited for this moment for YEARS.

I am reminded of a comment I heard years ago from a recovering audio addict (I was one once):

There are audiophiles and audiophobes.

Audiophiles appreciate what a fine audio system can do for their enjoyment of listening to great music.

Audiophobes use great music to find faults in their fine audio system.

I like that one. As a previous professional audio signal processing designer, I can relate. The music was created long ago - but (unbeknownst to its originators) in order to provide test signals for the machines. Or, as a video-phobe might say, "the sky was not blue before color TV".

I remember a great Jules Feiffer cartoon that was published in the Villiage Voice in the late 1960s. A fellow was showing his friend his new monster-sound-system, and played for his friend an audio recording of an atomic blast. In the final frame, his eyes bugging out and his hair standing on end from the acoustic shock of the event, he slumps in his chair with a wild, dazed look in his eyes, and enthusiastically exclaims to his friend, "it's a full life, Charlie" ...

Whereas musical instruments have throughout history created acoustic waves, photographic equipment has been deveolped only for the purpose of selectively sensing and recording already existing electromagnetic waves. In that sense, photography is a voyeuristic endeavor - whereas the creation of musical sounds is an active process involving humans and musical machines.

In that sense, photography is more about witnessing and "polishing" what already exists in the world around us, whereas making music with musical instruments is a more interactive process involving humans and machines.

Where it comes to machines - particularly men - often derive a great deal of satisfaction from the acquisition of, the cleaning and preening of, and the using of their tools. The implements used when accomplishing a process can be as important (and interesting) as the process itself.

My view is that nerds need not apologize for such proclivities for numbers, statistics, specifications, etc. The most important thing to understand is that life is a state of mind, and people find meaning and satisfaction in many different aspects surrounding life. It is the processes and the "journey" itself that matter much more than the particular goals and destinations that we preconceive and imagine - as part of living and learning is accepting that very little in life ever turns out quite the way that we originally envision it, and growing thereby.

Aesthetics (surrounding vision as well as hearing, images as well as sound) are deeply mysterious aspects of human experience (even unto ourselves). No material "things" can or ever will come close to supplanting, or substituting for, the human spirit. Very important to understand.

Many, many great minds throughout history were indeed interested in many diverse subjects - both tangible and reductionistic, as well as intangible, mysterious, and mystical. Modern humans make something of a mistake (perhaps) in imagining that they as consumers are able to merely acquire joy, inspiration, creativity. "talent", etc., by being merely passive and pedestrian players in the processes of existence. It is such attitudes which render us shallow and uninteresting.

Cold, dead machines are only a vehicle by which the human experience may (possibly) be enhanced and inspired. Machines are in no way ends in themselves (something sometimes missed).

Rather than worry what other humans may think of how and why we may find our own bliss - the important process is to find that bliss how and where and when one can. That is hard enough.

´╗┐Thank you for the great post, Detail Man.

Glad that you enjoyed my playful humor ! I hope that you may forgive me for my occasional seriousness. As a nerd, I see many people declare that they know best how and what others should concern themselves with. Bosh. They might be better served by "tending their own gardens".

My garden is doing just fine - mostly because I do not allow audiences to define what is interesting and meaningful for me personally. Let them strut and fret in their mortal coils, and conduct their own searches for a willing audience to their pretentious prescriptions for others. My intention is to not engage others in similar exercises in narrowness, and such related sundry social mumblings ...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
tko
tko
MOD Biggs23
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow