D800 matrix metering vs. D600 matrix metering.

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daniel Lauring
OP Daniel Lauring Veteran Member • Posts: 9,263
Re: A couple more comparisons between PDAF and LV mode with matrix metering.

CraigBennett wrote:

If I understand what you are saying is that the matrix metering is differing substantially between live view and PDAF modes when photographing the same scene....correct?

Yes, but it wasn't consistent, Craig.  In the first shot, of the room with the halogen light in the corner, the difference was quite substantial.  In the next two shots, the difference was noticeable, but the exposure wasn't as far off.

The strangest thing is how the difference is in the opposite direction of what it is with the D600.  With the D600, LV yielded much brighter pictures than PDAF when there was a bright light in the picture.

When I did this test, I looked at the difference between exposures of PDAF and CDAF and noticed a 1/3 stop difference between the two with the same scene and using a tripod. When the camera is in A mode, with Auto ISO, the camera changed the ISO by a third stop, when I locked down ISO, it changed the shutter 1/3 stop. So good, it is consistent.

I then switched to DX mode and repeated. The metering kept the same settings and the exposures were identical for both PDAD and CDAF.

So in FF mode, it looks like the matrix metering is metering slightly different views.

That is interesting.  I haven't tried DX mode at all.  In DX mode the PDAF sensor would come close to covering most of the exposure area, while in FX mode it covers significantly less.  That could have something to do with it.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Higuma
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow