K-01: Samyang 85mm f/1.4 or Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm f/2.5?

Started Feb 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,391
Re: K-01: Samyang 85mm f/1.4 or Tamron Adaptall-2 90mm f/2.5?

Kyogle wrote:

Now that I have K-01 fitted with CarrySpeed LCD Viewfinder (thanks to Ron for suggesting it!) and because I'm beginning to get the hang of focus peaking I am thinking of trying the K-01 with either the Samyang 85mm f/1.4 or Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 90mm f/2.5 lenses. My targets will be portraits of my grandchildren and subject isolation generally.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on which of these lenses you'd choose.

I've got the Tamron. Actually I've got 2 because one developed the strange "spot" at certain appertures. c.f. UnresponsiveCanvas . It's a very good optical formula.

I like it, and because I can still focus manually I take it to concerts where its speed at just the right focal length (for APS-C) works well. Someone questioned the coatings on a lens as old as this but I don't see any flare spots from stage lights.

It was a great portrait lens for film, but you have to stand back a bit too far for my liking to use it on APS-C and depending on the age of your grandchildren and the setting for pictures, painstaking focus setting may not be the ideal.

The Tamron can be found fairly cheaply, but expect it to have the wrong mount on it, you may have to buy a lens you don't want to get a PKA mount (or a PK - but get the A if you can), and then sell the wrong lens/mount combo.  If you're looking for MF lenses for portraits I'd suggest looking for a A-50mm (there are quite a Pentax 50s on ebay with starting prices in the small change range.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNR
JNR
JNR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow