rx100 the one to beat?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
technic Veteran Member • Posts: 8,932
Re: for the RAW shooters..

YiannisPP wrote:

Thanks, that sounds logical. But do you know for sure that none of the the RX100's lens elements is there to correct the barrel distortion? Also can aspherical lens elements (of which the RX100 has 4) lead to moustache-like distortion?

I'm pretty sure that you can introduce (some) moustache-like distortion by moving two groups at the WA end of the range, it just depends on the general optical design. You don't need a specific correction element for that.

P.S.: this problem isn't really new, I remember struggling with this on my ten year old Sony dsc-f717 long ago. This camera also has non-linear geometric distortion at the WA end of the range, where the magnification in the center was a bit higher than at the borders which makes applications like pano photography very difficult. This could not be fully solved with the normal Pano or distortion correction tools (but probably with PTLens if you have the right settings).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow