DP3M Poll: Who's interested?

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,149
Re: No so true anymore...

kuri wrote:

Yes, it's not as long as the days of film. But even so, I'm still assuming that the lifecycle of a lens is still much longer than that of a sensor. I'd surmise that a successor to the DP series is bound to come up within 2 years. However, the new Sigma lens refresh will likely be here for a good decade or so.

Point being that over that time: the lens stays relevant for of a good deal longer (with no replacement in sight), whereas you need to keep upgrading the DP body/lens in order to avoid obsolescence (and keep losing money with each buy/sell cycle).

That's what I don't think will hold true.  In the coming years the lifecycle of a lens will not be that much longer as more and more software is introduced into the lenses themselves.  There's only so much you can do with firmware upgrades.

You don't see it much yet but it will happen soon and rapidly I think.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow