Yet another "prints-darker-than-screen" but with a twist...!

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
jtoolman
jtoolman Veteran Member • Posts: 6,780
Re: Yet another "prints-darker-than-screen" but with a twist...!

Gilgames wrote:

jtoolman wrote:

Simply turning down the birghtness is not enough. As you have yourself said, it crushes your shadows. Your contrast will have to also be adjusted as well.

If you really want to be serious about this considering that a $1000 monitor is more than most of us may have, is for you to eventually get a hardware calibrator, then and only then will your monitor will be correctly calibrated. Your shadows will not be crushed no longer. Factory calibration is bright, contrasty, and a bit blue.

Then comes ICC profiles!

Thank you very much for your quick response! Apart from the icc profile included with the monitor cd, I have downloaded an icc profile for the monitor from here http://colormgmt.blogspot.gr/2012/10/ips237-monitor-icc-color-profile.html . It's set for 120 cd/m2, 6500K and 2.2 gamma, so I guess it should be close enough for printing (even though it might be a little bright).

The thing is, I'm not sure which is the "right" way for the pictures to be both viewed in monitor and to be printed. Since the brightness on the monitor menu has already been set to 0, can the calibrator actually set it to a luminosity lower than that AND still maintain shadows and highlights? Will it do it in a way different than eg Catalyst does it? I haven't seen a calibrator's results in person. That is probably the reason I'm hesitant about towards them - can they really make that huge a difference, particularly when the colors already match print with no tints? It only seems as the picture prints just a little underexposed. Is a calibrator able to fix this, even though the monitor itself is set in the lower brightness possible through the menu, and an .icc profile supposedly set for 120 cd/m2 is already being used?

A calibrator such as the X-Rite colormunki Display or Photo will take over and set you monitor to the correct setrtings, even taking into account your anbient viewing conditions.

ICC profiles have nothing to do with monitors. They are used to tell the printer how to map color values sent to it bu your photoeditor.

You have along road ahead of you in Color Managment.
1st step is to accept that your monitor is not calibrated, regardless of what you may think or feel.

The correct way is to use a hardware calibrator that bypasses the human eye whicih is easily fooled.

Once that has been achieved you can now be confident that you image files from you camera or memory card will be properly displayed for color and other aspects, so you can confidently edit them.

By the way, so you know, my monitor is set at 80 cd/m2

Since you have just gotten your R2000 you should start with OEM inks OEM papers and letting you printer handle color first.

There are standard test images that are printer without ANY editing, straight to the printer. This will establich that the printer is printing properly. Once you have extablished that, then you can begin printing with the photo editor managing color and turning off color managent at the printer driver level.

You tell the printer how to properly map and print colors through the use of the ICC profile specific to tyou printer and your paper.

I will produce a video on YouTube featuring photoshop and the R2000 so hang in there and tomorrow I will post the link.

There has been a lot of time and money waste by several R2000 users lately, due to wrong workflow and lack of understanding of how this process works. We have all gone through this, believe me!

I'll get back tomorrow.

Joe

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow