DP3M Poll: Who's interested?

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 19,881
No so true anymore...

kuri wrote:

Just my two cents, but I'm of the opinion that buying fixed lens cameras are actually worse investments than lenses.. I agree that the DPs cost similar to L lenses, but L lenses (or lenses in general) will still remain relevant even when sensor technologies improve.

To some degree this is true.  But technology is a beast that changes ALL things.  Look at Sigma's new lenses - they support multi-point microfotcus adjustment via USB collar.  This is a capability that cannot be retro-fitted onto older lenses, so if something like that becomes popular every existing L lens is obsolete.

Not to mention that over time coatings and AF motors and optics also improve, so that older lenses that were once very good on newer cameras with higher resolution sensors, could easy show substantial CA, or not be sharp across the frame.

With a dedicated lens/sensor combo, you get two elements that are properly paired, like a great wine with a meal.

Barring any refreshes and massive sensor resolution increases of course.

But how can you bar that when it defines the whole photographic industry!

Lenses stay relevant a lot longer compared to camera bodies in general and I'm sure Sigma will replace the existing foveon sensor before it refreshes the newly released 35 1.4 for example.

Possibly - but it's also probable that at that same time a new DP camera would come out.  So instead of making do with a 35mm that might not fully perform on a new camera, you could instead sell off the old DP camera, and buy a new one with a lens perfectly tailored to the new sensor in a timeframe much closer to a newer sensor coming out (although a FF SD-1M would probably not result in a FF DP-M camera).

As much as I'm addicted to my DP2M, I know that once a new foveon sensor is out (and new Merrill bodies), I will feel like my existing DP2M has become somewhat obsolete (yes even though it can still take pics). I think you know can see what I'm getting at.

I understand what you are saying, I just don't think lenses have the same half-life they did in the days of film.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow